Early Career Applications
How to Apply
How to Apply
The Early Career program provides a one-day series of special sessions for early-career researchers, educators, and technical professionals. This includes academic, industry, and laboratory postdocs and staff within the first five years of a permanent position. The Early Career program is available to participants by application only. The program aims to help participants secure a better understanding of the issues and challenges faced while navigating a successful research career.
- Funding: Understanding the agencies, funding instruments, and strategies for securing research funding;
- Publishing: Understanding the landscape of conference, journal, and other publication venues, including getting involved in conference leadership or journal editorship;
- Mentorship: Understanding the difference between a mentor and a sponsor and establishing effective, long-term mentoring and sponsoring relationships; and
- Time Management: Striking a balance between our professional and personal responsibilities and obligations.
The program will include engaging interactive sessions aimed at helping participants develop their professional skills, as well as a strategic vision for their future. The Early Career program will also feature a session with SC19 Committee leadership for an informal discussion of their careers, involvement in SC Conference committees, and the benefits of committee service.
Preparing Your Application
The application includes submission of a statement (maximum 250 words) on why you want to participate in the Early Career program.
Where to Apply
Accepted Early Career participants are required to register for the Technical Program. A Workshops registration is not required. See more information at SC19 Registration.
Schedule and Location
Early Career sessions will be held in a workshop format on Monday, November 18, 2019, before the full SC19 Program begins – this allows participants to enjoy as much of the Technical Program as possible.
Early Career participants have networking opportunities throughout the day:
- Lunch with panelists and speakers
- Mingling during coffee breaks
- Speed mentoring
Food and Drink
In addition to morning and afternoon coffee breaks, lunch will be provided to Early Career participants.
Questions about Early Career Applications? Contact Early Career